A landmark for travelers since Nicholas Johnson built its earliest section ca. 1735, this weatherboarded structure on the edge of Louisa County’s Green Springs Historic District is one of the state’s time-honored rural taverns. The tavern was purchased in 1761 by Johnson’s brother-in-law, John Boswell, who served as proprietor until his death in 1788. Boswell’s Tavern served as a headquarters for the marquis de Lafayette in 1781. British colonel Banastre Tarleton captured colonial troops here during his attempt to capture Thomas Jefferson during the Revolutionary War. The marquis de Chastellux made reference to the Boswells’ hospitality in his Travels in North America in the Years 1780, 1781, and 1782. The Boswell’s Tavern is divided into two sections: a public area containing two large public rooms, a warming room, stair hall, and bar area, and the innkeeper’s wing with a winding corner stair leading to sleeping quarters. The building is now a private residence.
Many properties listed in the registers are private dwellings and are not open to the public, however many are visible from the public right-of-way. Please be respectful of owner privacy.
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark
DHR has secured permanent legal protection for over 700 historic places - including 15,000 acres of battlefield lands
DHR has erected 2,532 highway markers in every county and city across Virginia
DHR has engaged over 450 students in 3 highway marker contests
DHR has stimulated more than $4.2 billion dollars in private investments related to historic tax credit incentives, revitalizing communities of all sizes throughout Virginia