Overlooking the verdant farmland of the Green Springs area, near the springs from whence the plantation derives its name, the Green Springs house is the area’s best example of the formal vernacular dwelling of the late 18th century. The tall, two-story frame house, accented by its slender exterior-end chimneys, shows the influence of Virginia’s academic Georgian style. Its double-pile floor plan is interesting for combining a hall-parlor with a center-passage scheme. The two front entrances reflect the former plan type, and the stair chamber between the two rear rooms reflects the latter plan type. The three surviving outbuildings near the house add to the picture of a rural domestic group of the period. Green Springs was built in 1772 for Col. Richard O. Morris, whose family settled and developed this section of Louisa County.
Many properties listed in the registers are private dwellings and are not open to the public, however many are visible from the public right-of-way. Please be respectful of owner privacy.
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark