This simple side-passage-plan country cottage documents the continuity of Virginia’s vernacular style over a century-long span. In its original form, the Anderson Foster House was little different from a house dating at least seventy-five years earlier. It was actually built in 1856, long after more stylish locales and clients had abandoned the regional idiom. The first owner of the dwelling was Dr. James B. Anderson, a country physician who bowed somewhat to contemporary taste by installing simple Greek Revival trim in a building that is otherwise almost completely lacking in academic architectural influence. The house has been restored and added on to in recent years.
Many properties listed in the registers are private dwellings and are not open to the public, however many are visible from the public right-of-way. Please be respectful of owner privacy.
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark