The Fort Mitchell Depot is the last standing train depot in Lunenburg County, where once there existed seven passenger and freight depots representing three different railroads—the Richmond & Danville, the Virginian, and the Roanoke Valley Railroad. The front passenger portion of Fort Mitchell Depot, a Virginia Railroad station, was constructed in the 1880s and is based on a prototypical plan used by most railroads in the late 19th and early 20th centuries. The rear freight portion is earlier and may have been moved to its current location in the 1860s, in anticipation of the railroad’s construction. Following its arrival, Fort Mitchell developed into a regional trading center, with a post office, blacksmith shop, saw mill, and general retail stores. When passenger service was terminated in 1956, the town subsequently declined. The Fort Mitchell Depot survives as an important reminder of the county’s rail history.
Many properties listed in the registers are private dwellings and are not open to the public, however many are visible from the public right-of-way. Please be respectful of owner privacy.
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark