For additional information, read the Nomination Form PDF
NPS property number 11000065
The Lane Hotel building, dating to circa 1840 and situated across from the Mathews County Courthouse in the village of Mathews has served along with its affiliated buildings as a tavern, hotel, and storehouse. In 1916 during the early automobile age, to attract new customers the building was likely repositioned on its lot and renovated to present a more imposing edifice. Until 1918, the hotel offered lodging and dining to steamboat travelers, salesmen, and auto-tourists. In the later 20th century, it housed a residence and then a day care center. At the time of its listing, it operated as The White Dog Inn, and served as a bed and breakfast and café.
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark
Updated April 4, 2018