Built in 1883, the Edgemont Christian Church was organized in the mid-1800s by Cephas Shelburne, who moved to Montgomery County in 1843 and served as an elder in the Cypress Grove Christian Church in Snowville. The congregation first worshiped in a log building that also served as a schoolhouse and stood on the site of the present church building, property purchased in 1856. Dr. Chester Bullard, famous leader of the Christian Church (Disciples of Christ) in Southwest Virginia, preached at the dedication service here. Although Edgemont Church reflects the simplicity of this basically congregational denomination, the building was given more architectural treatment than usual. The otherwise straightforward structure is set off by its segmental-arched windows, pedimented gable end, and pilastered corners. The Edgemont Church continues in regular use.
The Edgemont Church was listed in the registers under the Prehistoric and Historic Resources of Montgomery County MPD.
Many properties listed in the registers are private dwellings and are not open to the public, however many are visible from the public right-of-way. Please be respectful of owner privacy.
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark