Black Meadow was owned by James Madison, who also gave it its name, until 1830, when he sold it to Coleby Cowherd, a prominent farmer. Located in the rolling Piedmont landscape just north of Gordonsville, the property eventually passed to Cowherd’s grandson John Wickliffe Scott, who circa 1856 built its high-style Greek Revival main dwelling, which is representative of the infiltration of pattern books and professional architectural designs into the traditional culture of rural Orange County. Black Meadow Farm, currently known as Wolf Trap Farm, also includes slave or tenant quarters, a bent barn stable, a multi-use shed (all dating to circa 1856); a circa 1916 milk house; a tenant house and a dairy barn, both circa 1943; and the Scott family cemetery. The farm’s history exemplifies the evolution of agriculture in southern Orange County, which began with wheat and tobacco farming, then developed as a dairy complex during the 19th century. At the time of its listing in the registers, Black Meadow was in use as an equestrian facility.
Many properties listed in the registers are private dwellings and are not open to the public, however many are visible from the public right-of-way. Please be respectful of owner privacy.
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark