The Welfley-Shuler House is an imaginative vernacular interpretation of the Greek Revival and Italianate styles. Located across the Shenandoah River from the town of Shenandoah in southwest Page County, the two-story stuccoed stone house was built about 1876 for John Welfley, who operated a number of local industries during the Civil War and afterward. Farmer Hiram J. Shuler acquired the property in 1881, and it remained in the Shuler family until 1968. Among the house’s distinguishing features are mantels and a center-passage stair that incorporate chamfering, wave-like moldings, and decorative paneling.
Many properties listed in the registers are private dwellings and are not open to the public, however many are visible from the public right-of-way. Please be respectful of owner privacy.
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark