With its temple form and Doric portico in antis, this country Greek Revival church follows the format favored by Robert Lewis Dabney, a Presbyterian pastor and amateur architect. New Providence Presbyterian Church in northern Rockbridge County was completed in 1859 and closely resembles Dabney’s 1850 Tinkling Spring Presbyterian Church in nearby Augusta County. Because New Providence’s minister, James Morrison, was Dabney’s father-in-law, Dabney may well have had a direct influence on the design. Except for a large Sunday school addition, the building is little changed. The main interior feature is the engaged pulpit tabernacle, consisting of paired Doric pilasters supporting an ornamented entablature. The sanctuary also has a gallery supported on Doric columns. The New Providence Presbyterian Church congregation was organized in 1746 by the pioneering Presbyterian pastor John Blair.
Many properties listed in the registers are private dwellings and are not open to the public, however many are visible from the public right-of-way. Please be respectful of owner privacy.
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark