The original core of the prominently situated Rockbridge Inn was built by John Galbraith in 1821-23 and was first known as Galbraith Tavern. Functioning as both a dwelling and a stagecoach stop on the busy Valley Turnpike in Rockbridge County, the finely-crafted two-story brick structure was enlarged in 1841 with the addition of a large two-story frame wing. The expansive two-level galleries were added in the 1880s when the property was owned by Col. H. C. Parsons, the primary developer and promoter of the nearby Natural Bridge. The Rockbridge Inn served as a stopping point for stagecoaches carrying visitors to see the natural wonder. The building continued as an inn operated by George W. Parsons and his wife until the 1940s when a re-routing of the adjacent highway put it out of business. The Rockbridge Inn’s interior retains features reflecting its various remodelings.
Many properties listed in the registers are private dwellings and are not open to the public, however many are visible from the public right-of-way. Please be respectful of owner privacy.
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark