Mason-Dorton School is a frame, two-room school that served the Mason’s Store area of Russell County from 1885 until 1958. The school retains its original form and features a set of folding panels that divided the interior into two rooms. The panels were folded back for school presentations, plays, and musical performances, including some by the Carter family. The building has never been moved, and after abandonment in 1958 was not structurally changed to serve another purpose. Standing on land in Dorton family possession for more than 200 years, the Mason-Dorton School provides a memorial to the family and to the surrounding rural community.
Many properties listed in the registers are private dwellings and are not open to the public, however many are visible from the public right-of-way. Please be respectful of owner privacy.
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark