For additional information, read the Nomination Form PDF
VLR Listing Date 03/17/2004
NRHP Listing Date 08/20/2004
NRHP Reference Number 04000889
Walnut Grove is a Greek Revival house situated atop a ridge of rolling farmland on property Jonathan Johnson II purchased in 1829. William A. Jennings, a masterbuilder of Greek Revival houses in this region from 1830 to 1850, likely constructed the imposing dwelling. The most distinctive stylistic feature of the five-bay facade is the raised entry porch with four square Tuscan columns connected by the original balustrades. The floor plan is L-shaped, and the interior details and workmanship are exceptional, with raised panel doors with nickel-plated hardware, original heart pine floors, and faux marbling and grain painting on various baseboards and carved pine mantels. The old smokehouse remains, as does the stone fireplace of the 18th-century Coleman house that preceded Walnut Grove and once served as its kitchen. Also on the property are an English garden, vegetable gardens, orchards, a vineyard and a Johnson family cemetery.
Many properties listed in the registers are private dwellings and are not open to the public, however many are visible from the public right-of-way. Please be respectful of owner privacy.
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark
Updated: October 1, 2021