On a hilltop overlooking Falmouth and Fredericksburg, Clearview is representative of the architecture of lesser plantation dwellings of the late 18th century. Using the double-pile plan, hipped roof, and symmetrical five-bay facade, the composition varies little from that frequently employed a half century earlier. Clearview probably was built shortly after the property was acquired in 1786 by Andrew Buchanan, a major in the Caroline County militia during the Revolution. The house has received a later wing and porches but retains most of its early interior woodwork. The farm was used for a Federal gun emplacement during the battle of Fredericksburg in 1862. Some earthwork gun pits remain intact southeast of the house.
Many properties listed in the registers are private dwellings and are not open to the public, however many are visible from the public right-of-way. Please be respectful of owner privacy.
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark