The Stafford Training School was built in 1939 during the Great Depression by the Public Works Administration after local African American citizens formed a “county league” to donate money to purchase the land for the school, the only black high school in Stafford County during segregation. It is the most significant site in Stafford County and in the Fredericksburg area to interpret the struggle for the de-segregation of Virginia’s public school system. In 1960 students from the school were the first in the area to try integrating all-white Stafford County High School. That attempt failed, but it was followed successfully in 1961 and 1962. The Stafford Training School building, used continually since 1939, was restored in 2005, and at the time of listing in the registers, the property retained a circa-1940 baseball field.
Many properties listed in the registers are private dwellings and are not open to the public, however many are visible from the public right-of-way. Please be respectful of owner privacy.
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark
DHR has secured permanent legal protection for over 700 historic places - including 15,000 acres of battlefield lands
DHR has erected 2,532 highway markers in every county and city across Virginia
DHR has engaged over 450 students in 3 highway marker contests
DHR has stimulated more than $4.2 billion dollars in private investments related to historic tax credit incentives, revitalizing communities of all sizes throughout Virginia