Virginia State Seal

Virginia Department of Historic Resources

089-0021 Hartwood Manor

Hartwood Manor
*Click on image to enlarge.

For additional information, read the Nomination Form PDF

VLR Listing Date 12/07/2005

NRHP Listing Date 02/01/2006

NPS property number 05001618

Julia and Ariel Foote constructed Hartwood Manor in 1848, and it survives today as one of only two Gothic Revival residences in Stafford County. The two-story brick house features many character-defining elements of this style, popularized by architect Andrew Jackson Downing, such as a steeply-pitched roof, polygonal and lancet-arch topped windows, and deep eaves with exposed rafter ends. Fine craftsmanship is also displayed in the exterior and interior moldings and woodwork. Once part of a 697-acre tract, the house sits on a low knob overlooking nearly nine acres of rolling pastures and fields, formerly part of a 5,000-acre land grant called the Mason Tract. The Footes came to Virginia from Burlington, Connecticut, and operated a successful farm at Hartwood Manor from 1837–1884. It also served as a Union hospital for soldiers injured during the battles of Fredericksburg, the Wilderness, Chancellorsville, and Spotsylvania. Later agricultural dependencies still surviving include an early 20th-century barn, milk house, chicken house, and workshop, and a mid-19th-century hand-dug well. The L-shaped Greek Revival Mansion House in Highland County was built in 1851 for George Washington Hull, the county’s representative to the Virginia State Convention of 1861, where he voted on secession. The house was used by Union soldiers as a hospital during the 1862 Battle of McDowell, then converted to a hotel from 1886–1930. In the late 1880s or early 1890s, local folk artist Robert F. Gillett painted a series of shaded panels in the entrance hall and parlor, the only known example of his wall treatments. These provide a valuable glimpse of Victorian-era hotel decor. While a hotel, the house also served as a rest stop on the Staunton to Parkersburg Turnpike, serving to facilitate travel between the Shenandoah Valley and Ohio River Valley. A small, early 20th-century shed and the remains of the original detached kitchen, destroyed by fire in the 1930s, are also on the property.


Abbreviations:
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark

Updated April 4, 2018