Named for a tree marking its distance by water from Jamestown, the plantation of Four Mile Tree has been an established unit in Surry County since the early 17th century. It was first settled by the Browne family, who occupied it for over a century and a half. The present house, dating from the mid-18th-century, shows the application of formal Georgian planning and detailing to a building with a more unassuming native quality. The visual character of the exterior is defined by its jerkinhead gambrel roof pierced by five dormers on each front. The house was remodeled in the 19th century when its brick walls were stuccoed, its sashes replaced, and the portico added. Much of the early paneled woodwork and a Georgian stair were left untouched. A family graveyard contains Virginia’s oldest legible tombstone, dated 1650. Four Mile Tree has been incorporated into the neighboring Mount Pleasant Foundation property, and the Foundation has undertaken a careful restoration of the house.
Many properties listed in the registers are private dwellings and are not open to the public, however many are visible from the public right-of-way. Please be respectful of owner privacy.
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark