Rogers’ Store was preceded on the site by Gwaltney’s Store, which was constructed in 1827. This building was converted to storage space when Rogers’ Store was built in 1894. Watt Rogers, an area entrepreneur, used his store to launch several business endeavors, including a lumber company, chemical company, and publishing company. While these ventures were not overly fruitful, the store was successful as the location of the first telephone company, the Surry-Sussex Telephone Company. This store complex has maintained its historical integrity with very few modifications to the existing buildings since their construction in the late 19th century. Serving as a hub for the Carsley community for many years, the store closed in 1952. After rehabilitation the store now serves as a local museum.
Many properties listed in the registers are private dwellings and are not open to the public, however many are visible from the public right-of-way. Please be respectful of owner privacy.
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark