Chimney Rock Farm, also known as the Willows, is a strikingly sophisticated example of the three-part Palladian-type house in Southwest Virginia. Although this form was employed extensively in the Tidewater and Piedmont regions, such houses are rarely found in the farther upland reaches of the state. On the west fork of Plum Creek, in the shadow of a wooded mountain range, and just west of the Tazewell County seat, the house was built ca. 1843 for Maj. Hervey George, a lawyer and farmer who served as a delegate to the General Assembly during the Civil War. Finely crafted, the brick dwelling at Chimney Rock Farm retains its delicate Federal interior woodwork, including some painted wood graining. Local tradition asserts that the house was the work of a Bedford County builder who built four brick houses in Tazewell County.
Many properties listed in the registers are private dwellings and are not open to the public, however many are visible from the public right-of-way. Please be respectful of owner privacy.
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark