The Grove was built around 1857 by Colonel John Preston, when he retired after 32 years as presiding judge of Washington County. This was the second “manor” house built on the Walnut Grove Plantation. The original “Walnut Grove” was constructed by John Preston’s father, Col. Robert Preston, the first land surveyor of Washington County. The Grove is a two-story brick Greek Revival house, located on the outskirts of the city of Bristol, and featuring a wood-framed porch. Though extensively vandalized after its sale by Preston family heirs in 1972, the house has been carefully and extensively rehabilitated to house new offices of the Children’s Advocacy Center of Bristol/Washington County at Presto’s Grove.
Many properties listed in the registers are private dwellings and are not open to the public, however many are visible from the public right-of-way. Please be respectful of owner privacy.
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark