Edmondson Hall provides the village of Meadowview in eastern Washington County with a well-preserved reminder of its past railroad and architectural heritage. Built in 1857 shortly after the arrival of the Virginia and Tennessee Railroad in southwestern Virginia, Edmondson Hall served as a late period, vernacular Greek Revival-style residence for William and Susan Edmondson. Living in his large two-story, double-pile brick house accented by a two-story entry porch and graced with well-executed mantels, woodwork, and graining, Edmondson operated a sawmill on the eve of the Civil War. By the early 1870s, he managed the Meadowview Store and Post Office. Though financial difficulties prevented Edmondson from benefiting from the growth of Meadowview that occurred after the Norfolk and Western steel rail upgrade of the rail line in the 1880s, his fine Edmondson Hall stands on the outskirts of the village, unaltered and intact.
Many properties listed in the registers are private dwellings and are not open to the public, however many are visible from the public right-of-way. Please be respectful of owner privacy.
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark