This archaeological site consists of the remains of an 18th-century workhouse for indigents built by Williamsburg’s Bruton Parish Church. By the mid-18th century, the colony’s poor constituted a significant social problem. A 1755 act of the Assembly empowered all of the colony’s parishes to erect poorhouses; the Bruton Parish poorhouse is one of the few known to have been built. A survey of the site, conducted by the Virginia Department of Historic Resources in 1978, located the foundations of one of the four buildings identified by the French cartographer Desandrouin in 1781-82 as the poorhouse complex. Shown is a sampling of the variety of 18th-century artifacts associated with daily life found in the surface investigation. More intense archaeological activity could produce revealing data about the lives of a predominately inarticulate portion of the colonial population.
Many properties listed in the registers are private dwellings and are not open to the public, however many are visible from the public right-of-way. Please be respectful of owner privacy.
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark
DHR has secured permanent legal protection for over 700 historic places - including 15,000 acres of battlefield lands
DHR has erected 2,532 highway markers in every county and city across Virginia
DHR has engaged over 450 students in 3 highway marker contests
DHR has stimulated more than $4.2 billion dollars in private investments related to historic tax credit incentives, revitalizing communities of all sizes throughout Virginia