Built in 1817, St. Paul’s Episcopal Church in the city of Alexandria is the only surviving Gothic Revival building associated with Benjamin Henry Latrobe, America’s first professional architect, and is Latrobe’s only remaining work in Virginia. The extent of Latrobe’s involvement is debated, but he did provide a design for the front after construction of the church was underway. Although Latrobe was unhappy with alterations to his design made during construction, the church is a pioneering landmark of American Gothic Revival and was hailed on its completion as “an honorable monument to the taste and liberality of the congregation.” Here was founded the Virginia Theological Seminary as well as the Alexandria Hospital. St. Paul’s Sunday School was the first in the nation to contribute to a foreign mission. The church also has been the venue for the consecration of three Episcopal bishops and continues to serve an active parish. St. Paul’s Episcopal Church is located in the Alexandria Historic District.
Many properties listed in the registers are private dwellings and are not open to the public, however many are visible from the public right-of-way. Please be respectful of owner privacy.
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark
DHR has secured permanent legal protection for over 700 historic places - including 15,000 acres of battlefield lands
DHR has erected 2,532 highway markers in every county and city across Virginia
DHR has engaged over 450 students in 3 highway marker contests
DHR has stimulated more than $4.2 billion dollars in private investments related to historic tax credit incentives, revitalizing communities of all sizes throughout Virginia