The Charles M. Goodman House in Alexandria was the home of Washington, D.C.-area architect Charles Morton Goodman, who brought the Modernist aesthetic to middle-class residential American architecture. After he purchased a ca. 1870 Victorian farmhouse in 1946, Goodman modified and expanded it in the International Style with an open floor plan, natural textures and materials, and the blending of inside and outside spaces through the extensive use of glass. From the 1940s through the 1960s, Goodman designed more than 450 houses in Hollin Hills in Fairfax County and in other Washington suburbs. He also created prefabricated plans for the National Home Corporation that informed 100,000 homes, and designed the 1957 Aluminum Company of America (ALCOA) Care-Free Home. The Goodman House retains much of its original setting on a wooded suburban lot, and the property also includes a ca. 1870s stone-lined well, and 1950s wooden fence and stone walls.
Many properties listed in the registers are private dwellings and are not open to the public, however many are visible from the public right-of-way. Please be respectful of owner privacy.
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark