For additional information, read the Nomination Form PDF
See link(s) below to view additional documentation.
VLR Listing Date 06/19/2013
NRHP Listing Date 09/30/2013
NRHP Reference Number 13000807
The Hollin Hills Historic District encompasses a 326-acre residential Fairfax County neighborhood that took shape between 1949 and 1971 under developer-builder Robert Davenport and modern architect-planner Charles Goodman. Hollin Hills drew national and international attention as the first planned subdivision to combine novel land planning, modern house and landscape designs, and an innovative merchandising plan that required the lots and house models to be sold separately. Houses in Hollin Hills were situated on lots in order to accentuate the site’s existing slopes and woods, giving Goodman an opportunity to design eight modern house types with variations in square footage and interior amenities, comprising 15 different combinations. He created modern designs of standardized modular units with open interiors and trim-less window walls, non-traditional house profiles, and prefabricated components. Hollin Hills reflected Goodman’s conviction that traditional house forms like the Colonial Revival-style had no place in a 20th-century development. By 1971, Hollin Hills was completed and its real estate office closed. At the time of its listing, there were 475 houses, buildings, sites, and structures contributing to the character of the Hollin Hills Historic District. The district was listed at the national level of significance under the Historic Residential Suburbs in the United States MPD.
A 2015 nomination update presented the general history of the suburban residential district with information regarding the former residence of Ronald F. Lee at 1805 Drury Lane. In 2015, ongoing work on the history of the National Park Service and the 50th anniversary of the National Historic Preservation Act identified Lee’s residence within the district and recommended its recognition under Criterion B in the area of Conservation for his contributions during a distinguished career in historic preservation; he resided at the house with his wife, Jean, from 1949 to 1960.
[NRHP Approved: 2/5/2016]
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark
Updated March 31, 2020