Virginia State Seal

Virginia Department of Historic Resources

103-0002 Southern Seminary Main Building

Southern Seminary Main Building
*Click on image to enlarge.

For additional information, read the Nomination Form PDF

VLR Listing Date 12/21/1971

NRHP Listing Date 04/13/1972

NPS property number 72001501; AD72001501

The several new towns established in the Shenandoah Valley during the land boom of 1889-91 were considered not only as prime industrial and commercial sites but choice recreational areas. The scenic mountain landscape and pleasant climate, made accessible by the railroad, were the essential ingredients for large summer resorts. Of the Valley’s numerous elaborate hotels built in this period, the rambling Queen Anne-style structure in Buena Vista is one of only two remaining. Designed by S. W. Foulke of New Castle, Pa., and begun in 1890, the hotel operated only briefly; the panic of 1893 forced its closing. The building was subsequently acquired by Dr. Edgar H. Rowe, who reopened it as Southern Seminary, a girls’ preparatory school and junior college. The school closed in 1996.

An updated cover page with a name update for the Southern Seminary Main Building (also known as the Southern Virginia University Main Hall and the old Buena Vista Hotel) was accepted by the National Register in 2019.
[NRHP Accepted: 7/1/2019]


Abbreviations:
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark

Updated August 2, 2019