Virginia State Seal

Virginia Department of Historic Resources

104-0044 Morea

Morea
*Click on image to enlarge.

For additional information, read the Nomination Form PDF

VLR Listing Date 03/20/1984

NRHP Listing Date 05/03/1984

NPS property number 84003522

In the shadow of Thomas Jefferson’s “Academical Village,” Morea is the only surviving dwelling built by one of the University of Virginia’s original faculty members. Erected in 1835, the singular structure was originally the home of John Patton Emmet, the university’s first professor of natural history. Born in Ireland, Emmet was the son of Irish nationalist Thomas Addis Emmet. He attended West Point and later studied medicine in New York City, gaining a reputation as a scientist and inventor. With its Chinese railing, fine brickwork, and interior arcade, the dwelling displays a number of affinities to Jefferson’s architecture and was likely erected by university workmen although Emmet wrote that it was “contrived by myself.” Acquired by the university in 1960, Morea serves as its official guest house. Its name is derived from Morus multicaulis, the Chinese mulberry tree which Emmet grew here while experimenting with silkworm culture.


Abbreviations:
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark

Updated November 7, 2018