For additional information, read the Nomination Form PDF
VLR Listing Date 06/19/1996
NRHP Listing Date 05/16/1997
NRHP Reference Number 97000448
The monument to Albemarle County native George Rogers Clark, “Conqueror of the Northwest,” is the fourth of four works of public sculpture commissioned from members of the National Sculpture Society by Charlottesville philanthropist Paul Goodloe McIntire. McIntire engaged Robert Ingersoll Aitken to create a heroic-size bronze group that portrays a mounted Clark with members of his expedition confronting an Indian chief and members of his party. The sculpture was cast by the Gorham Company and was erected in 1921. A masterful and complex work of art, the monument reflects the influence of the City Beautiful Movement. McIntire departed here from his usual practice of donating monuments to the city and presented the Clark sculpture to the University of Virginia.
Many properties listed in the registers are private dwellings and are not open to the public, however many are visible from the public right-of-way. Please be respectful of owner privacy.
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark
Updated: June 24, 2021