For additional information, read the Nomination Form PDF
VLR Listing Date 09/30/2010
NRHP Listing Date 12/28/2010
NRHP Reference Number 10001061
Jefferson School, completed in 1926 and expanded in 1952, provided primary and secondary education for African American students in the Alleghany County community of Clifton Forge from 1926 until 1965, when desegregation took effect. As the fourth school constructed to serve African American students, it was central to Clifton Forge’s black community for nearly 40 years. An alumni association was actively keeping the Jefferson School’s legacy alive at the time of its listing. The property contributes to the Clifton Forge Residential Historic District.
Many properties listed in the registers are private dwellings and are not open to the public, however many are visible from the public right-of-way. Please be respectful of owner privacy.
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark
Updated: May 10, 2022