Virginia State Seal

Virginia Department of Historic Resources

109-0005 H. T. Klugel Architectural Sheet Metal Building

H. T. Klugel Architectural Sheet Metal Building
*Click on image to enlarge.

For additional information, read the Nomination Form PDF

VLR Listing Date 11/21/1972

NRHP Listing Date 04/02/1973

DHR's Virginia Board of Historic Resources easement

NPS property number 73002208

The façade of the H. T. Klugel building is one of the landmarks of Emporia and probably the state’s most original example of the use of galvanized architectural sheet metal. This singular work was fabricated in 1914 to ornament the newly built headquarters of Harry T. Klugel’s metalworks firm, founded in 1902. The façade served to advertize the rich decorative elements manufactured within. Unlike most firms, Klugel did not produce a catalogue but designed each piece to order with emphasis on style and craftsmanship. Other examples of his work in Emporia include the cornice of the Old Merchants and Farmers Bank and the interior paneling of the county office building. The business has since been sold by the Klugel family but its operation continues under new ownership, still making use of many of Klugel’s machines and patterns.


Abbreviations:
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark

Updated April 4, 2018