Virginia State Seal

Virginia Department of Historic Resources

110-0015 Mount Hope

Mount Hope
*Click on image to enlarge.

For additional information, read the Nomination Form PDF

VLR Listing Date 08/21/1984

NRHP Listing Date 10/04/1984

NPS property number 84000037

One of the City of Falls Church’s principal historic resources, Mount Hope has two distinct parts: a simple frame dwelling and a more elaborate Victorian ornamental villa, both virtually intact and joined by an infill section of uncertain date. The earlier portion was erected around 1815. The brick portion was built in 1969 by A. E. Lounsbury for William A. Duncan for $3,000, a sizeable sum at the time. Tax records indicate that in 1875 the brick section was valued higher than both Gunston Hall and Woodlawn. Its exterior is distinguished by its spirited wooden detailing, particularly the balconied gable. Although the original 216-acre farm has been developed, the house and remaining half acre of land are protected by a local easement.


Abbreviations:
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark

Updated August 7, 2018