Braehead, situated on the brow of a hill overlooking the Rappahannock River, was built in 1858 for John Howison. Architecturally significant for its side-passage plan, which is more commonly associated with urban dwellings of the period, and its Greek Revival interior woodwork and faux-painted finishes, the house is a well-preserved example of mid-19th-century rural domestic architecture. A prominent landmark in the southern section of the city of Fredericksburg, Braehead was a reference point for both Union and Confederate troops and was frequently mentioned in battle orders and military reports during the battles around Fredericksburg in 1862, 1863, and 1864.
Many properties listed in the registers are private dwellings and are not open to the public, however many are visible from the public right-of-way. Please be respectful of owner privacy.
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark