Warren County’s handsome Colonial Revival stone courthouse was built in 1936, a direct product of Virginia’s participation in the Works Progress Administration of President Franklin Roosevelt’s New Deal program. Located at the corner of East Main Street and South Royal Avenue in the county seat of Front Royal, the structure replaced an earlier courthouse built on the site in 1836. Consisting of a central two-story block topped with a wooden domed cupola and flanking wings, the Warren County Courthouse was designed by Richmond architect Alan J. Saville. Combining classical features such as wooden pilasters, molded cornices, and pedimented gables with rustic native stone walls, Saville created a courthouse unlike any other in Virginia.
Many properties listed in the registers are private dwellings and are not open to the public, however many are visible from the public right-of-way. Please be respectful of owner privacy.
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark