For additional information, read the Nomination Form PDF
VLR Listing Date 12/02/1969
NRHP Listing Date 02/26/1970
NRHP Reference Number 70000871
Completed in 1728 by builder Henry Cary, Jr., St. John’s Episcopal Church is the fourth building to serve Elizabeth City Parish, the oldest active parish of the Anglican communion in America. St. John’s Church itself is the oldest building in Hampton, and it is located in the Hampton Downtown Historic District. Its Latin cross plan, a form usually reserved for important churches, indicated the high status of the parish. St. John’s suffered considerably from the wars that plagued the area. The church was damaged during the bombardment of Hampton in 1775. In the War of 1812 British troops ransacked the building and used it for barracks. It was renovated in 1830 and reconsecrated as St. John’s Church. Retreating Confederates burned St. John’s along with the town in 1861, leaving only the fine Flemish-bond brick walls standing. It was rebuilt within the walls following the war and given a handsome Victorian interior.
Many properties listed in the registers are private dwellings and are not open to the public, however many are visible from the public right-of-way. Please be respectful of owner privacy.
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark
Updated: June 30, 2022