The diminutive Little England Chapel is a monument to the role of African Americans in working to achieve a better quality of life and a stronger sense of community through education and spiritual growth during the challenging times prior to the civil rights era. Completed in 1879 as a missionary chapel, the building first served a variety of uses. It was used primarily by Hampton Institute students who offered Sunday school lessons to the Newtown youth, continuing this practice until the 1930s. The Newtown Improvement and Civic Club also held meetings here. Additional programs of worship, singing, and concerts were undertaken, and by 1890 the chapel had become known for its sewing club. The Newtown Improvement and Civic Club acquired the Little England Chapel property in 1954 and restored the building in 1990-93 for a historical, community, and non-denominational religious center celebrating the area’s African American culture.
Many properties listed in the registers are private dwellings and are not open to the public, however many are visible from the public right-of-way. Please be respectful of owner privacy.
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark