The Scott House was built in 1889 in the city of Hampton by the Scott family. William Scott served for many years as a harbor pilot and later an entertainment entrepreneur owning and operating a string of theaters on the Peninsula. The Scott House, now known as Magnolia Manor, is an excellent example of the Queen Anne style with its hallmark attributes: a wraparound porch, an asymmetrical façade, and a complex roof form marking the exterior. Column screens divide principal interior spaces on the first floor and an ornate stair rises from the hall. Also noteworthy are the elaborate fireplace overmantels and firebacks. Owners, at the time of listing at the end of the 20th century, lovingly restored the Scott House, which had been divided into numerous apartments.
Many properties listed in the registers are private dwellings and are not open to the public, however many are visible from the public right-of-way. Please be respectful of owner privacy.
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark