Victoria Boulevard and adjacent streets were laid out in the city of Hampton in 1888 by local entrepreneur James S. Darling as a complement to his newly constructed electric railway, the first on the Peninsula. Essentially built out by 1920, the Victoria Boulevard Historic District early became one of Hampton’s most fashionable residential areas, one made up primarily of spacious, free-standing houses occupied by business leaders and professionals. The first houses in the neighborhood made use of the Queen Anne style but the later dwellings are assertive examples of the Colonial Revival, a reflection of Hampton’s position as the nation’s oldest English-speaking community. A variety of American Foursquare houses are part of the last wave of construction here. Despite the diversity of forms, the area is unified by a homogeneity of scale and materials. Nearly every house in the Victoria Boulevard Historic District is skirted by a hospitable front porch, used as living rooms during Hampton’s warm evenings.
Many properties listed in the registers are private dwellings and are not open to the public, however many are visible from the public right-of-way. Please be respectful of owner privacy.
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark