The much-evolved Mulberry Hill, one of the several historic houses dotting the hills around Lexington, illustrates changes in local architectural taste over a hundred-year period. The house grew from a one-story, double-pile core to a two-story, gable-roofed dwelling, and finally to a hip-roofed mansion. Its regionalized Georgian woodwork and plasterwork is some of the finest in the area. Apparently situated on the site of the 1777 residence of William Graham, the original section was begun ca. 1797 for Andrew Reid, the first Rockbridge County clerk. It was enlarged in the mid-19th century for his son Samuel McDowell Reid and given its present appearance ca. 1903 by local architect William C. McDowell when it was sold to Eleanor Junkin Cox Latane. Mulberry Hill’s early-20th-century garden frames a view of House Mountain, a familiar natural landmark.
Many properties listed in the registers are private dwellings and are not open to the public, however many are visible from the public right-of-way. Please be respectful of owner privacy.
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark