For additional information, read the Nomination Form PDF
VLR Listing Date 09/09/1969
NRHP Listing Date 05/30/1974
NHL Listing Date 05/30/1974
NRHP Reference Number 74002219
Organized in 1839, Virginia Military Institute is the nation’s earliest state-supported military school and has supplied the country with many outstanding military leaders, most prominently General of the Army George C. Marshall. The campus, located in the Lexington Historic District, consists of some twenty-five major buildings united by a castellated Gothic Revival style. The focal point, The Barracks, is a much-evolved complex originally designed by Alexander Jackson Davis. Davis also designed Gothic Revival faculty houses lining the Parade Ground, of which the Gilham House (1852) and the Superintendent’s Quarters (1860) survive. In the 1910s, architect Bertram Grosvenor Goodhue was commissioned for Jackson Memorial Hall and additional faculty houses. The original Gothic character established by Davis has been carefully maintained in these and later works. Lending variety is a scattering of 19th-century and later dwellings including the Gothic Revival Pendleton-Coles Cottage where Gen. Marshall was married.
Many properties listed in the registers are private dwellings and are not open to the public, however many are visible from the public right-of-way. Please be respectful of owner privacy.
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark
Updated: July 27, 2022