For additional information, read the Nomination Form PDF
VLR Listing Date 12/05/2001
NRHP Listing Date 03/13/2002
NRHP Reference Number 02000180
Lynch’s Brickyard House located in the College Hill neighborhood in Lynchburg, was constructed about 1849 by Alexander Liggatt, a close friend of Micajah Lynch. The land was owned by John Lynch and used as a brickyard by Christopher Lynch until 1830. The house survives as a rare example of a modest vernacular dwelling from the second quarter of the 19th century. It rests on an infilled stone pier foundation and has prominent exterior end chimneys. Evidence of the use of the site as a brickyard can be seen on the property.
Many properties listed in the registers are private dwellings and are not open to the public, however many are visible from the public right-of-way. Please be respectful of owner privacy.
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark
Updated: January 25, 2022