118-5160

Lynchburg Hospital

VLR Listing Date

09/15/1999

NRHP Listing Date

12/09/1999

NRHP Reference Number

99001506

Lynchburg Hospital was built in 1911 as the first publicly funded and operated hospital in the city. It was established primarily to meet the health care needs of citizens who could not afford to enter one of the private hospitals in the city or were not allowed access to those facilities because of racial discrimination prevalent during the period. Included in the nomination are the main Lynchburg General Hospital building and the nurse’s home. Three noted Lynchburg architects were involved in designing the original buildings and their subsequent remodelings. They were John M. B. Lewis, Stanhope Johnson, and S. Preston Craighill. The evolution from Georgian Revival to restrained neoclassical represents the changes in popular style and tastes in Lynchburg as well as the proclivities of the architects.

Last Updated: June 2, 2023

Many properties listed in the registers are private dwellings and are not open to the public, however many are visible from the public right-of-way. Please be respectful of owner privacy.

Abbreviations:
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark

For additional information Read

Nomination Form

118-5507

Lower Basin Historic District 2023 Boundary Increase

Lynchburg (Ind. City)

118-0103

Dewitt-Wharton Manufacturing Company Building

Lynchburg (Ind. City)

118-5470-0002

Carnegie Hall

Lynchburg (Ind. City)