Kemper Street Industrial Historic District encompasses the core of a manufacturing area of Lynchburg devoted primarily to the production of clothing and shoes. The district arose during the early 20th century as the city’s initial commercial and industrial districts reached capacity. Covering approximately 17 acres, the district consists of five building complexes, representing some of the largest, most modern industrial buildings in the region during the district’s first 40 years after 1916. The Lynchburg Industrial Development Corporation, a private entity dedicated to selling land to “start up” businesses, was significant in the development of the district. The district also spawned the Lynchburg Manufacturers Building Corporation, which constructed a generic “loft” building speculatively; the Blue Buckle Overall Company, one of Lynchburg’s major employers, was one of the few businesses consistently seeking female employees. The long lifespan of the district’s buildings and the companies housed within them effectively tells the story of manufacturing in Lynchburg during this important period in its history.
Many properties listed in the registers are private dwellings and are not open to the public, however many are visible from the public right-of-way. Please be respectful of owner privacy.
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark
DHR has secured permanent legal protection for over 700 historic places - including 15,000 acres of battlefield lands
DHR has erected 2,532 highway markers in every county and city across Virginia
DHR has engaged over 450 students in 3 highway marker contests
DHR has stimulated more than $4.2 billion dollars in private investments related to historic tax credit incentives, revitalizing communities of all sizes throughout Virginia