Stewart-Hinton House is a brick, hip-roofed, two-story house over an elevated basement located in the Petersburg Old Town Historic District. It was constructed about 1798 for tobacco merchant Robert Stewart and his wife, Amy Goodwyn Stewart. The house is in the Georgian tradition of great Virginia mansions built in the 18th and early 19th centuries. It features sophisticated Federal detailing inside and out. It was the finest house on Petersburg’s High Street when it was built, and it remains one of the grandest houses in the Old Town district today. Notable on the exterior are the fine Flemish–bond brickwork, the beautiful front doorway with its open pediment framing a lunette, and, on the rear, the group of three doors. The interior has a wide first-floor hall with an elaborately detailed unsupported stair and a large parlor running the full depth of the house with two identical fireplaces.
Many properties listed in the registers are private dwellings and are not open to the public, however many are visible from the public right-of-way. Please be respectful of owner privacy.
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark