Virginia State Seal Virginia Department of Historic Resources

123-0108 South Market Street Historic District

South Market Street Historic District
Photo credit: Calder Loth, 2021

*Click on image to enlarge.

For additional information, read the Nomination Form PDF

VLR Listing Date 06/19/1991

NRHP Listing Date 04/22/1992

NRHP Reference Number 92000345

This compact district incorporates a significant assortment of buildings dating from 1840 to 1905, when South Market Street was one of the city of Petersburg’s premier residential areas. The high-style Greek Revival and Italianate dwellings lining the two-block-long district housed some of Petersburg’s economic, social, and political elite. Most of the structures in the South Market Street Historic District display a high standard of craftsmanship and are set off by ancillary features such as cast-iron fences, tiled walks, and granite curbs. A highlight is the Norman-style former South Market Street Methodist Church, completed in 1860. Several original outbuildings survive, including carriage houses and kitchens. Although demolitions have robbed the neighborhood of important structures, a cohesion is tenaciously maintained. The principal historic landmark is the Thomas Wallace House where, on April 3, 1865, President Abraham Lincoln held his last meeting with Gen. Ulysses Grant.


Abbreviations:
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark


Updated: July 1, 2021