For additional information, read the Nomination Form PDF
VLR Listing Date 11/19/1974
NRHP Listing Date 12/19/1974
NRHP Reference Number 74002242
These three tall houses, located behind a high brick wall on the edge of the Norfolk Naval Shipyard, were erected between 1837 and 1842 to serve as residences of the shipyard’s commanding officers. Many of their details, mostly in a Greek Revival idiom, follow designs illustrated in the architectural pattern books of Asher Benjamin. The three houses survived the 1861 burning of the shipyard by evacuating Union forces and a burning the next year by departing Confederates. Well maintained, they still house the shipyard’s ranking officers, with Quarters A, the largest of the three, traditionally serving as the commandant’s house. The installation continues as the U. S. Navy’s principal east coast shipyard.
Many properties listed in the registers are private dwellings and are not open to the public, however many are visible from the public right-of-way. Please be respectful of owner privacy.
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark
Updated: November 5, 2018