The John Whitworth House, in Richmond’s Fan District, is a former Greek Revival-style farmhouse, built circa 1857 on land owned by John Whitworth. The house was transformed into a Neo-Georgian urban residence for its owner, Charles F. Gillette, one of Virginia’s most celebrated landscape architects. Between 1928 and the early 1930s, Gillette added the Georgian door surround, quoins, and the picket fence. At the rear of the house Gillette designed a private garden that illustrates his gardening philosophy. Largely intact at the time of listing, the formal garden incorporates an open central lawn, a round pool edged with flagstones, brick paths, benches, and garden ornaments. Gillette sold the house in 1944.
Many properties listed in the registers are private dwellings and are not open to the public, however many are visible from the public right-of-way. Please be respectful of owner privacy.
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark