The St. Andrew’s Church complex was created to serve Oregon Hill, a Richmond neighborhood populated by workers at the Tredegar Iron Works and other nearby factories. Grace Arents, a niece of tobacco magnate Maj. Lewis Ginter and heir to the Ginter fortune, was the project’s sponsor. With this philanthropic gesture, Arents was following the example of Andrew Carnegie, Jane Addams, and other nationally recognized exponents of Progressive Era social conscience. Built between 1900 and 1908, the St. Andrew’s Episcopal Church complex contains a visually-arresting church designed by A. H. Ellwood of Elkhart, Ind., and a parish hall, library, and faculty residence by Noland and Baskervill of Richmond. The school building is the work of Richmond architect D. Wiley Anderson. The finely-crafted stone church, one of Richmond’s purest examples of the High Victorian Gothic mode, contains a splendid interior. The complex continues as a neighborhood architectural and social anchor.
Many properties listed in the registers are private dwellings and are not open to the public, however many are visible from the public right-of-way. Please be respectful of owner privacy.
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark
DHR has secured permanent legal protection for over 700 historic places - including 15,000 acres of battlefield lands
DHR has erected 2,532 highway markers in every county and city across Virginia
DHR has engaged over 450 students in 3 highway marker contests
DHR has stimulated more than $4.2 billion dollars in private investments related to historic tax credit incentives, revitalizing communities of all sizes throughout Virginia