Located today in the far western edge of the city of Richmond, the Boyd House is one of only two extant antebellum structures in that section of the city. Constructed circa 1835, later expanded around 1860, the house is situated on Three Chopt Road, one of Virginia’s oldest identifiable roads. The property began as a 35-acre farm and later turned to vegetable farming in the Rio Vista post office community, which eventually developed into a trolley-line suburb during the early 20th century. The surrounding area emerged as Westhampton, one of Richmond’s most prestigious neighborhoods, a distinction earned by the establishment of a large country club and golf course, several churches, and as the new location for the University of Richmond in 1914. In addition to the main house, the property includes a smaller dwelling house, once used for servants or guests.
Many properties listed in the registers are private dwellings and are not open to the public, however many are visible from the public right-of-way. Please be respectful of owner privacy.
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark
DHR has secured permanent legal protection for over 700 historic places - including 15,000 acres of battlefield lands
DHR has erected 2,532 highway markers in every county and city across Virginia
DHR has engaged over 450 students in 3 highway marker contests
DHR has stimulated more than $4.2 billion dollars in private investments related to historic tax credit incentives, revitalizing communities of all sizes throughout Virginia