For additional information, read the Nomination Form PDF
VLR Listing Date 12/09/2021
A majestic Georgian Revival–style mansion, Clovelly stands atop a small hill overlooking the James River to the west in Windsor Farms, an upscale neighborhood near Richmond’s West End. Although originally envisioned as a “typical English village” to be populated by Tudoresque or English vernacular-style houses, Windsor Farms was overtaken by the Georgian and Colonial Revival styles, popular among the region’s wealthy patrons of the early 20th century. Designed in 1935 by Richmond-based architect Carl Max Lindner Sr., Clovelly was the seasonal family home of Frank D. Stranahan, an automotive entrepreneur from Toledo, Ohio. His wife, Marie Celeste Stranahan, resided at the house regularly in the fall and spring and opened the gardens for tours. The two-and-a-half-story dwelling exemplifies Lindner’s masterful interpretation of the Georgian architectural style with its striking symmetry, proportion, balance, and elegant detailing. Lindner drew inspiration as well from two 18th-century historic homes located nearby, Wilton and Carter’s Grove. The handsome exterior brickwork at Clovelly is laid in a Flemish bond pattern on all sides of the house. In 1936 the Stranahans hired Charles Freeman Gillette to design the property’s landscape. His plans resulted in a walled azalea garden north of the house and a grass-covered terrace on the riverfront. Cast stone urns and ornaments, brick walkways, and wrought iron railings and gates embellish the gardens around the building. The Stranahans sold the property in 1957.
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark
Updated: December 9, 2021