For additional information, read the Nomination Form PDF
VLR Listing Date 09/19/1972
NRHP Listing Date 05/07/1973
NRHP Reference Number 73002224
This 1908 Georgian Revival firehouse in the heart of downtown is a product of the early civic pride of the rapidly urbanized city of Roanoke. With a façade recalling early 18th-century English town halls, the building is a municipal ornament. It was designed by the prolific local architect Harry Hartwell “H.H.” Huggins, who gave the composition a pleasing accent with the handsome cupola. Inside, the building remains essentially unchanged, preserving its requisite brass sliding poles, although the structure now houses motorized fire engines rather than horse-drawn ones. The first floor has an elaborate pressed-metal ceiling. The upper level retains most of its early woodwork, including maple floors and pine trim. The firehouse, located in the Roanoke City Market Historic District remained in operation until 2007.
Many properties listed in the registers are private dwellings and are not open to the public, however many are visible from the public right-of-way. Please be respectful of owner privacy.
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark
Updated: October 15, 2021