For additional information, read the Nomination Form PDF
VLR Listing Date 06/15/1976
NRHP Listing Date 11/07/1976
NRHP Reference Number 76002232
Built in 1806, this Federal town house, one of the city’s few remaining early structures, is believed to be Waynesboro’s first brick dwelling. The Coiner-Quesenbery House’s original owner was Casper Coiner, who was of Pennsylvania-German origin. With its elegant Georgian cornice, Coiner’s residence is an unusually sophisticated representative of the houses found in the linear villages of the Shenandoah Valley. Following the practice of densely settled communities, particularly Philadelphia, the Valley settlers placed their houses at the fronts of their lots, giving their villages an urban character. The Coiner-Quesenbery House originally had a center entrance, but an alteration of 1832 gave it a more conventional side-passage plan. Located in the Waynesboro Downtown Historic District, the house was restored to its mid-19th-century appearance in 1972 by the Quesenbery family, who had owned the house for many years.
Many properties listed in the registers are private dwellings and are not open to the public, however many are visible from the public right-of-way. Please be respectful of owner privacy.
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark
Updated: January 30, 2023